Construction & engineering disputes
Our market leading construction and engineering dispute resolution team regularly advises the construction industry in Ireland, the UK and other jurisdictions, including public and private sectors.
Given the nature of construction disputes, arbitration is frequently the preferred dispute resolution mechanism. We have significant expertise in this area in addition to expert determination, mediation, adjudication and, particularly, conciliation. In all of these cases, we perform our own advocacy, obviating the need for outside counsel.
Recent examples of cases include:
- A €160million claim made by an international construction consortium against an Irish public authority in respect of the construction of a section of motorway, resulting in a highly favourable settlement for our client.
- A not dissimilar claim made by another international construction consortium against another Irish local authority. This dispute was under the new forum of Government contract and also resulted in a significant settlement in favour of our client.
- Acting for Galway City Council in its successful Supreme Court Appeal in the case of Samuel Kingston Construction Limited –v- Galway City Council. This involved a challenge to an arbitration award which had been upheld in the High Court. The Supreme Court set aside the award and removed the arbitrator for misconduct.
- Acting for a major contractor in a €36million claim arising from the construction of social housing for an Irish local authority.
- Acting for a contractor against a developer in respect of a €50million claim arising out of the construction of a mixed use development in north Dublin.
- Acting for Building Design Partnership in multi-party proceedings brought by the University of Limerick in respect of a roofing defect.
Clients choose us and come back to us because of our team based, commercial approach to solving their problems.