How to Apply / FAQs

Cayman Islands

Applications for Articles of Clerkship are considered annually in March. All applications, together with supporting documentation, must be received by 31 January.

Applicants for Articles of Clerkship should have achieved a minimum upper second class degree (or equivalent qualification), together with a Distinction at the Professional Practice Course (Cayman) or Legal Practice Course (UK), as the case may be. Applicants meeting those minimum standards are invited to submit: 

  • their CV; 
  • certified copies of their academic and professional qualifications and transcripts; 
  • two references from non-family members who have known them for a period of at least three years and can attest to their good character;
  • certified copies of their Cayman Islands Passport and birth certificate;
  • a letter from the Department of Immigration confirming Caymanian Status;
  • current Police Clearance Certificate's issued by the relevant authorities in their current jurisdiction of residence and their permanent jurisdiction of residence; and 
  • any other supporting documents they deem relevant.

under covering email to


Can I apply for a traineeship without completing an internship?
The Professional Internship Programme is our main method of recruiting future trainees. The purpose of our Professional Internship Programme is to give you an idea of what it is like to work as a trainee at Maples and Calder, Dublin and the first step in your future career with Maples and Calder.

However, if you are not in a position to complete an internship and are still interested in a career in Maples and Calder please contact us.

Can I apply for the Professional Internship Programme if I haven't studied or am not currently studying law?
Yes. We welcome applications from anyone who has completed at least two years of an undergraduate or graduate degree in any discipline. Postgraduate students or those who have completed their studies are also encouraged to apply, including those who have work experience and have already completed FE1 exams.
How do I apply for an internship?
Applications for our Professional Internship Programme open in early January of each year.

When does the Programme take place?
The Professional Internship Programme has two intakes annually with each spending four weeks in the office over June, July and August.
Is the Programme a paid internship?
Yes. The Professional Internship Programme is a paid internship.
Will I be offered a training contract if I have not yet completed my undergraduate degree?
You do not need to have successfully completed your undergraduate degree in order to obtain a training contract with Maples and Calder, Dublin. We will discuss and agree a start date that suits each future trainee's needs and plans.
Are there any secondment opportunities during my traineeship in Dublin?
Each year two of our trainees complete an overseas rotation in either our Hong Kong or Cayman Islands offices as part of our trainee programme. Further secondment opportunities, including client secondments, are often offered to a number of trainees in each intake, depending on the needs of the firm and our global client base.
What fees are covered as part of my training contract?
Trainees receive a competitive salary and benefits package. We cover your Law Society fees, and you will receive compensation for your successfully completed FE1 exams when you begin your traineeship with the firm. 

Will I be offered a position following my training contract?
We are delighted to say that we have an excellent track-record for being able to offer places to trainees as solicitors upon successful completion of their training contracts.

For an explanation of how we handle your personal data submitted for positions with one of our European entities, please refer to our Job Applicant Privacy Notice which is available here.