BVI Lawyers in London
Maples and Calder has a dedicated London based British Virgin Islands (“BVI”) team. We act as counsel to major banks, multinationals, leading law and accountancy firms, insurance companies, professional trust companies and high and ultra high net worth individuals.
We provide legal advice on a diverse range of BVI legal matters including the following:
General Corporate and Finance
- Banking and secured lending
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Due diligence
- Cross border asset and project finance transactions including property finance and the financing of private and corporate jets and ships
- Bond offerings, note programmes and other debt capital market matters
- Listing of equity, debt and derivatives on major exchanges worldwide including London Stock Exchange (LSE), AIM, NYSE, NASDAQ, the Irish Stock Exchange and TSX
- Share restructuring and schemes of arrangement
- Voluntary liquidation of solvent companies
- Minority shareholder rights
- Directors duties
- Protection of security interests
- Corporate due diligence
- Legal Opinions
- Yacht and mortgage registration
- Incorporation of BVI companies
- Registration of BVI limited partnerships
Structuring and establishment of both open ended and closed ended investment funds established as corporate entities, limited partnerships or unit trusts.
The licensing and regulation of persons or entities conducting "investment business" in or from within the BVI pursuant to the Securities and Investment Business Act, 2010, including insurance companies, captives, investment managers and Forex platforms.
- Commercial and private trust, charity and estate planning matters, as well as associated regulatory issues, with an emphasis on complex trust structuring including VISTA trusts and the use of private trust companies.
- Opinions and legal advice to lenders and other counterparties in relation to transactions which involve trusts.
We liaise closely with our litigation team based in our BVI office in respect of any litigious matters including shareholder disputes, insolvent liquidations, other insolvency related issues, contentious trust matters and other applications to the BVI courts including probate and company restorations.
Our team of lawyers has extensive experience advising on both common and complex legal issues...
Joanna is a lawyer in the British Virgin Islands practice group based in London. Joanna deals with a wide variety of corporate and commercial law including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate, banking and finance transactions.
Jo is recommended by Legal 500
We understand that for cross-border deals our clients need high quality BVI counsel in a time zone convenient to them...
Matthew is the head of the British Virgin Islands (BVI) team of Maples and Calder in London, and advises on finance, banking and corporate law matters involving BVI companies and partnerships, including public and private mergers and acquisitions, partnerships and joint ventures, debt and equity financings, and project, real estate and asset financing.
Matthew specialises in the listing of BVI companies on international Stock Exchanges including London Stock Exchange/AIM, Nasdaq and Toronto Stock Exchange. Matthew also advises on BVI insurance and regulatory law.
Matthew is recommended by Chambers and Legal 500
Latest BVI News
- The Mergers & Acquisitions Law Review 11th Ed.: BVI
- Maples and Calder Hong Kong Recruitments Bolster Capabilities
- Maples and Calder Recruits Senior BVI Litigation Partner
- British Virgin Islands & Cayman Islands Companies: Breaking the Stereotype
- Group Statement from the Alliance of BVI Professional Services Businesses