Global reach, objective advice
Maples and Calder is recognised as a market leader in the provision of legal services to investment funds. We have experienced teams of lawyers providing expert advice and world-class service across the whole range of fund structures. We are proud of our reputation in the market and work hard to maintain it.
We have a global practice advising on the laws of the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, Ireland, Jersey and Luxembourg. We are therefore uniquely placed to provide an impartial view on the world's leading offshore and onshore investment jurisdictions and to give clear, insightful advice. Importantly, we can combine this expertise across our offices to provide multi-jurisdiction solutions.
We are pleased to have won the following recent awards:
- HFMWeek - 2017 and 2016 - European Hedge Fund Service Awards - Best Offshore Law Firm
- HFMWeek - 2016 - Asia Hedge Funds Services Awards - Best Offshore Law Firm
- Hedge Funds Journal Awards - 2016 and 2015 - Leading Offshore Law Firm
- HFMWeek - 2015 and 2014 - European Service Provider Awards - Best Offshore Law Firm
- HFMWeek - 2015 and 2014 - US Services Awards - Best Offshore Law Firm for Client Services
- HFMWeek - 2014 - Asia Hedge Funds Services Awards - Best Offshore Law Firm
We value the strong relationships we have developed with our clients. We act for an unparalleled cross section of the participants in the global investment funds market, including law firms, fund managers, depositaries, administrators, investment banks, private equity groups, insurance groups, pension funds, boutique investment management companies, institutional investors, sovereign wealth funds, family offices, prime brokers, audit firm structuring teams as well as other financial institutions.
- We predominantly advise in conjunction with leading onshore counsel in the relevant jurisdiction of the investment manager.
- In 2017, we acted for 37% of all Hedge Funds and 40% of all Exempted Limited Partnerships (the predominant vehicle used for Private Equity Funds) formed in the Cayman Islands. This level of investment funds market overview and experience informs everything we do.
- Our Irish Funds Group has been independently consistently ranked as the #1 legal adviser in Ireland for funds (i) over the past eight years (from 2010-2017 inclusive) based on the total number of new sub-funds established and (ii) over the past five years (from 2013-2017 inclusive) based on the total number of funds advised.*
- Our British Virgin Islands Funds Group is one of the longest established dedicated funds practices in the territory and continues to advise on a significant percentage of new fund registrations in the British Virgin Islands.
* Source: Lipper Ireland Fund Encyclopaedia 2010-2011. Monterey Insight Ireland Fund Report 2012-2017.
We have significant strength in depth. Over 72 partners and 80 associates in the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, Dubai, Dublin, Hong Kong, Jersey, London, Luxembourg and Singapore can advise you on every British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Irish, Jersey and Luxembourg law aspect of setting up, managing and investing in investment funds.
Our collegiate and co-operative environment, fostered by our remuneration structure and our recruitment of lawyers with major onshore law firm experience, results in a responsive and consistent approach where work is done by lawyers who are specialists in the relevant area, have the appropriate level of qualification for the task and benefit from substantive supervision by our partners.
Our affiliate MaplesFS, who has over 500 dedicated employees, provides a full range of fiduciary, accounting and administration services for investment funds and institutional investors in key financial centres. We also provide specialist Listing Services for investment funds in Ireland (on the ISE) and in the Cayman Islands (on the CSX), as well as Global Registration Services, to managers of Cayman Islands, Irish and British Virgin Islands domiciled funds.
All aspects of the life cycle of an investment fund are catered for. Our specialist litigation and insolvency groups have significant experience in dealing with restructurings, liquidations, insolvency and regulatory proceedings.
Our proprietary entity management system, Maples eServices, will provide you with 24 hour web-based access to all of your investment fund's documentation and a host of other related information and services.
- Cryptoassets as an Alternative Investment Class for Cayman Islands Alternative Investment Funds
- Maples and Calder Ranked as Top Irish Funds Legal Adviser
- The Future is Bright for Jersey Funds
- CIMA Issues Amendments to the AML Guidance Notes
- Ireland Implements 4MLD: Key Changes for Investment Funds
- Maples and Calder Given Top Tier Rankings by Legal 500 Caribbean 2019
- Duke Magazine - Interview with Johan Terblanche and Majorie Allo
Our unparalleled overview of the funds market gives our clients an edge. We provide insightful, practical and prompt advice based on the latest legal developments and structuring trends.