Shipping and Ship Finance
Maples and Calder's Asset Finance team has been in place for over 30 years and is particularly experienced in the utilisation of special purpose vehicles (both on and off balance sheet) in asset financing structures.
We are one of very few law firms with expertise in asset financing in the Cayman Islands, Ireland and the British Virgin Islands (the "BVI"). We are consistently ranked as the leading Cayman Islands finance practice by legal directories and independent research organisations in terms of technical knowledge, commercial awareness and client service.
Our Asset Finance team has acted on numerous export credit agency supported transactions, as well as commercial bank deals, with unique experience in utilising Cayman vehicles and making them tax resident in Ireland, enhancing the security of structures and enabling access to the Irish tax treaty network.
We offer our clients expert legal advice on a wide range of shipping-related matters in both the Cayman Islands and the BVI, and are able to offer assistance through our offices in London, Dubai, Hong Kong and Singapore. In particular, we are able to advise on the registration of all types of vessels for both commercial and private use under Category 1 British ports of registry at George Town in Grand Cayman and Road Harbour in the BVI.
Our team has extensive experience advising financiers, vessel owners, brokers and management companies in connection with:
- Vessel Finance
- Vessel sale, purchase and registration
- Vessel building contracts
- Ownership structuring (including set up of vessel owning companies, joint ventures and partnerships)
- Set up and administration of special purpose vehicle structures
- Demise charter registration
- Offshore oil and gas projects
- Broking and management arrangements
- Crew contracts and employment matters including Maritime Labour Convention
- Mortgage registration and enforcement
- General pleasure yacht and commercial shipping inquiries
- Maritime disputes and accidents
- Vessel arrest and detention
- Cayman Islands special economic zone companies – Maritime Services Park
- Listing of shipping companies on the Cayman Islands Stock Exchange
- Cayman Islands & BVI AEOI Update: Extended Reporting Deadlines
- Securitisation Guide 2017: Cayman Islands
- New IP Regimes for the Cayman Islands
- MiFID II Implementation - Ireland and Third Country Firms
- ILS in the Cayman Islands
- True Sales under Irish Law – Market Approach Confirmed
- Cayman AEOI Update: Deadline Extension and Updated Self-Certification Forms
Our strategic global presence and highest quality expertise ensure that our clients receive unmatched service and advice, provided in a commercial and cost-effective way.