A global team with a global perspective
The world of sports, media and entertainment is increasingly becoming global in its outlook. Understanding how best to structure the ownership and licensing of your intellectual property, brand or personality from an international perspective is, therefore, essential in today's market.
At Maples and Calder, our expertise is based not only on a deep, technical understanding of the law, but on an extensive knowledge of the commercial practicalities of the sector from a global perspective. Our legal advice is provided by a team of lawyers situated in every major time zone.
Specialist legal advice and support such as this, given in a timely manner and from a team with real experience, can make a positive impact on the revenue that a business can generate from its sports, media or entertainment interests.
We can tell you when it might be advantageous to establish a Cayman Islands, Irish or British Virgin Islands entity for the purpose of owning your interests and we can advise you how best to structure your licensing or distribution arrangements in different regions so as to maximise income from your assets.
- Acquisition and ownership holding structures
- Funds for the purposes of investing in sports ventures including player funds
- Joint ventures both with respect to investment in the sports industry and between sports entities, the media and technology companies
- Intellectual property holding structures
- Licensing of intellectual property including with respect to brands and brand merchandising, sponsorship deals, naming rights, merchandising, multi media and gaming products
- Sports related financing for teams, clubs, leagues and associations by means of secured loan financing, credit facilities, bond issues, commercial paper and long term fixed rate debt facilities, including securitisation of future flow revenue (ticket sales, broadcasting rights and royalties) and stadium financing
- Media right holding structures
- Broadcasting – domestic and international television, radio, internet broadcasting and mobile wireless agreements
- Ownership of image and associated intellectual property rights
- Licensing of image and associated intellectual property rights including endorsements on a regional and global basis
- Trust structures for private wealth management
Without the right advice as to how best to structure ownership of our sports, media or entertainment business and the associated licensing arrangements from a global perspective, owners and business managers risk losing significant revenue opportunities for their businesses.