Global reach, objective advice
Maples and Calder is recognised as a market leader in the provision of legal services to investment funds. We have experienced teams of lawyers providing expert advice and world-class service across the whole range of fund structures. We are proud of our reputation in the market and work hard to maintain it.
We have a global practice advising on the laws of the Cayman Islands, Ireland and the British Virgin Islands. We are therefore uniquely placed to provide an impartial view on the world's leading offshore and onshore investment jurisdictions and to give clear, insightful advice. Importantly, we can combine this expertise across our offices to provide multi-jurisdiction solutions.
We are pleased to have won the following recent awards:
- HFMWeek - 2015 and 2014 - European Service Provider Awards - Best Offshore Law Firm
- Hedge Funds Journal Awards - 2015 - Leading Offshore Law Firm
- HFMWeek - 2015 and 2014 - US Services Awards - Best Offshore Law Firm for Client Services
- Hedge Fund Journal Awards - 2014 - Offshore Law Firm of the Year
- HFMWeek - 2014 - Asia Hedge Funds Services Awards - Best Offshore Law Firm
- Who's Who Private Funds - 2014 - Law Firm of the Year
- Legal Week - 2014 - Offshore Law Firm of the Year
- MENA Fund Manager Fund Services Award - 2014 - Best Offshore Law Firm
We value the strong relationships we have developed with our clients. We act for an unparalleled cross section of the participants in the global investment funds market, including law firms, fund managers, depositaries, administrators, investment banks, private equity groups, insurance groups, pension funds, boutique investment management companies, institutional investors, sovereign wealth funds, family offices, prime brokers, audit firm structuring teams as well as other financial institutions.
- We predominantly advise in conjunction with leading onshore counsel in the relevant jurisdiction of the investment manager.
- In 2015, we acted for 37% of all Hedge Funds and 45% of all Exempted Limited Partnerships (the predominant vehicle used for Private Equity Funds) formed in the Cayman Islands. This level of investment funds market overview and experience informs everything we do.
- Our Irish Funds Group is the independently recognised market leader in the establishment of new funds in Ireland with a 51% market share of new business within Irish domiciled funds, as of 30 June 2013, advising on more new funds than all other Irish law firms combined during the period under review.
- Our British Virgin Islands Funds Group is one of the longest established dedicated funds practices in the territory and continues to advise on a significant percentage of new fund registrations in the British Virgin Islands.
* Source: Monterey Insight Ireland Fund Survey 2013.
We have significant strength in depth. Over 69 partners and 72 associates in the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, Dubai, Dublin, Hong Kong, London and Singapore can advise you on every Cayman Islands, Irish and British Virgin Islands law aspect of setting up, managing and investing in investment funds.
Our collegiate and co-operative environment, fostered by our remuneration structure and our recruitment of lawyers with major onshore law firm experience, results in a responsive and consistent approach where work is done by lawyers who are specialists in the relevant area, have the appropriate level of qualification for the task and benefit from substantive supervision by our partners.
Our affiliate MaplesFS, who has over 500 dedicated employees, provides a full range of fiduciary, accounting and administration services for investment funds and institutional investors in key financial centres. We also provide specialist Listing Services for investment funds in Ireland (on the ISE) and in the Cayman Islands (on the CSX).
All aspects of the life cycle of an investment fund are catered for. Our specialist litigation and insolvency groups have significant experience in dealing with restructurings, liquidations, insolvency and regulatory proceedings.
Our proprietary entity management system, Maples eServices, will provide you with 24 hour web-based access to all of your investment fund's documentation and a host of other related information and services.
- Maples and Calder Ranked Number 1 for Irish Funds
- Who Are Your Beneficial Owners?
- Madoff Litigation: UCITS Investor Rights and Depositary Liability
- New CBI Cyber Security Guidance for Irish Funds & Financial Service Providers
- ICAV Set to Retain its Popularity
- Funds - Ireland - Quarterly Update Q3 | July - September 2016
- Global Registration Services - Market Update, Q3 2016
Our unparalleled overview of the funds market gives our clients an edge. We provide insightful, practical and prompt advice based on the latest legal developments and structuring trends.